Advanced CT Scanning Services
We're at the cutting edge of veterinary diagnostic technology at North Richmond Vet Hospital. With our Siemens SOMATOM go.Up CT scanner, we offer detailed imaging services. This sophisticated technology is suitable for common pets like dogs and cats and for a range of exotic species.
Capabilities of our CT Scanner:
Our state-of-the-art CT scanner offers comprehensive imaging solutions for a vast array of conditions and needs:
- Spinal Cord Analysis: Diagnosing and evaluating spinal cord injuries and diseases, including intervertebral disc disease (slipped discs).
- Brain, Head & Neck Assessment: Detecting and diagnosing masses and other conditions in the head region. This includes the nose, mouth, teeth, jaw, and middle ear. It's also particularly adept at spotting foreign objects, such as fragments of sticks.
- Thoracic & Abdominal Imaging: Accurately diagnosing tumours, fluid irregularities, and other conditions within the chest and abdominal regions.
- Bone Evaluation: Ideal for identifying bone cancers like osteosarcoma, assessing bone health, and aiding in the surgical planning for orthopaedic issues, including fractures and growth irregularities like elbow dysplasia.
- Congenital Disease Analysis: Vital for evaluating congenital diseases such as portosystemic shunts and urinary tract irregularities.
Understanding CT Scan Costs: Humans vs. Pets:
Many pet owners are curious as to why CT scans appear more affordable for humans than their pets. There are critical reasons for this discrepancy:
- Universal Human Healthcare in Australia: We're fortunate to live in a country with a robust universal human healthcare system. In Australia, many diagnostic services for humans, including CT scans, are heavily subsidised or entirely covered by the taxpayer via government schemes like bulk billing. Unfortunately, such subsidies do not extend to pet healthcare, leading to the perception of higher costs.
- Anaesthesia Costs for Pets: Unlike humans, most pets need anaesthesia during CT scans. This introduces additional costs linked to the anaesthetist, anaesthetic drugs, fluids, and subsequent monitoring during recovery.
Given these factors, we at North Richmond Vet Hospital advise pet owners to consider the benefits of pet insurance. This can significantly reduce out-of-pocket expenses, making services like CT scans more affordable.
Benefits of CT Scanning for Your Pet:
- High-Resolution Imaging: Offers detailed cross-sectional images, giving insight into your pet's internal structures.
- Speed & Efficiency: Provides quick scan times, ensuring minimal stress for your pet.
- Versatility: Suitable for typical pets like dogs and cats and exotic species such as rabbits, guinea pigs, and reptiles.
- Non-Invasive Diagnosis: Enables a deep understanding of health issues without exploratory surgery.
- Guided Treatment Planning: Allows for meticulous planning for surgeries or other treatments.
- Dogs and Cats: Starting from $1200
- Exotic Species (including rabbits, guinea pigs, reptiles, and more): Starting from $580
- Specialist reading of the scans has additional costs starting at $400
At North Richmond Vet Hospital, we believe in the strength of collaboration. We warmly accept referrals from other veterinary hospitals. If you're a vet seeking advanced imaging for your patient or a pet owner with a vet-recommended CT scan, we're here to help you.
Get in Touch Today:
For more details on our CT scanning services or to book an appointment, please get in touch with the dedicated team at North Richmond Vet Hospital. Prioritising your pet's health and well-being, we endeavour to offer the most sophisticated and thorough diagnostic care available.